Over the last 6 months I have had numerous conversations that indicate the current format for choosing the Arts & Sciences champion is not meeting the needs of the Kingdom. This is demonstrated by low entries in A&S competitions, and low recognition of the champion, or even the existence of the title, across the Kingdom.
This consultation paper (5 pages) sets out the issues, relevant responses from the Kingdom A&S survey, and details on the proposed changes.
The TL;DR version is:
- A champion per reign, announced in Court at Coronation.
- The champion is determined through a points system which takes into account the various ways that the populace contributes to A&S in Lochac, and not just through 4 competitions per year (see the paper for the proposed points system)
Points towards the championship will be allocated for the following activities.
- Contribute an item to an A&S display, Kingdom or local event level. Includes Laurel Prize at Rowany Festival, and A&S display at Canterbury Fair
- Perform a period piece of entertainment at an event. Think music, singing, poem, theatre.
- Teach a class at any event
- Have an article published in Cockatrice
- Have something scored in a competition that follows the Kingdom competition score sheet, or similar. This can include local competitions. The test is, are you scoring the item out of 50, with a clear description of how points are allocated, and at least 2 people have scored the item. If the scoring is a different scale to 50 then the final score will need to be adjusted to fit the point bands.
- Attain a ranking in a guild. Where a guild has a different set of ranks, then the equivalent names and scores should be negotiated with the Guilds Deputy, and the decision should be recorded in the guilds documents and the Champion webpage.
Points are allocated on a scale between 1-4 depending on the effort and reviewability of the activity. The specific points are set out in the consultation paper.
The collection of points will be managed by the Arts & Sciences Officers of the Kingdom, as well as Guild Administrators. An online form will be created for officers to input points with their quarterly reports.
I’m interested in answers to the following questions. You can comment below or send an email. Also happy to discuss in person/on the phone (email me for a phone number).
- Is this a workable model? What benefits and pitfalls can you see?
- What else could be included in the points system? How would we fairly allocate points across the Kingdom for that thing?
- How do we include research and science in this schema?
- Should we include period arts martial, including Archery, in this schema?
- What sort of item should we consider for perpetual regalia?
- Anything else you think we’ve missed or should consider?
Consultation is open until 15 March (just over 4 weeks).