- A reconstruction of an extant tunic, with a pattern.
- Byzantine Clothing Info– Black Tauna.
- Byzantine Garb Basics– Anna’s Rome.
- Handout on 11th Century Byzantine Clothing Constructionby Lady Ariadne Karbonopsina (2013).
- Celtic Clothing of the 16th Century
Types of clothing worn by the Scots and the Irish during the 16th Century.
- Ireland, ca 5th-10th centuries CE
- Scottish Men’s Clothing
- Scottish Women’s Clothing
- Great resource for both beginners and advanced sewers:http://www.elizabethancostume.net/index.html
- 15th century Flemish:http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/15th/
- 15th Century Female Flemish Dress: A Portfolio of Images
- Florentine: Artworks: http://www.abcgallery.com/P/piero/piero.html
- 60 Examples of Real Medieval Clothing
- Another cutting diagram and explanation of the more historically accurate pieced construction
- Articles of Interest by Cynthia Virtue
A series of articles on clothing, accessories and hair treatments of the middle ages. Well researched with photos of original clothing and guides to help you shop.
- Basic Garb Guide: https://stmonica.lochac.sca.org/wiki/basic-garb-guide/
- Basic introduction to garb
- circular or semi-circular cloaks
- Coifs (men and women)
- Costuming in general: https://welcome.sca.org/costuming/
- Extant finds: http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/II_01_01.htm
- Five Cross Cultural Embroidery Stitches
- Footwear of the Middle Ages
- Medieval Costumes and Clothing
- Medieval Western Europe
- Early Period Metallic Trims
- Sample Napkin, in a 10th Century Linen Weave
- Making a Basic T-Tunic
- Anglo-Saxon and Viking Works of the Needle
- Garb – Getting Started – Part 1
- Generic styles of various times and cultures – plate 7 through to 49 are the most relevant: http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/COSTUME1_INDEX.HTML
- Gored Tunic Pattern Generator
- Heraldic frocks: http://www.sca.org.au/st_florians/university/library/articles-howtos/heraldry/HeraldicFrocksS.htm
- Hurstwic: Clothing in the Viking Age
- In depth look at T-tunic construction
- In Prayse of the Needle – Historically inspired needlework
- Anglo-Saxon and Viking Textiles
- Bibliography of Sources Of Information on Period Tablet Weaves
- Extant Clothing of the Middle Ages
- Introduction to garb-making, with plenty of links: http://www.bayrose.org/AandS/handouts/Garb_intro.pdf
- Late 14th Century Ladies’ Headdreses – the Basics
- Late Period Anglo Saxon Costume
- Marc Carlson’s home page – various medieval research and clothing
- Medieval Belt Purse
- Medieval Clothing Pages
- Medieval Costumes and Clothing
- Newbie Garb That Doesn’t Look Newbie
- Period Hair.pdf
- Photos of Skjoldehamn set from Tromsø Museum taken by Dominik Schörkl
- Quick and dirty T-tunic
- Ravensgard Costuming and Textile Page
- Rosalie’s Medieval Woman – Veils and Wimples
- SCA Costumers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/48947078912/
- SCA Garb Basics: http://awanderingelf.weebly.com/blog-my-journey/sca-garb-basics-part-2
- St. Birgitta Cap
- The Costume Site / The Costume Source
- Patterns and Instructions for Medieval Russian Costumes
- The Costumer’s Manifesto: Your Free One-stop Site for Costume Information & Images
Costume information and images
- The Cotehardie and Houppelande Webpage
A history and guide to cotehardies and houppelandes.
- The Renaissance Tailor – Recreating 16th and 17th Century clothing
- Weaving On The Warp-Weighted Loom: Some Sources
- YOUTUBE Cloaks with Emphasis on Bocksten Man Bog find – Time 16:10
- A compilation of garb links from many times and places within our period, by Miriam bat Shimeon
- Asim’s Ottoman patterns.
- Making Mongolian Garb– chiefly useful for the links at the bottom.
- Medieval Islamic cloak-type wraps, by Samia.
- Medieval Islamic Women’s Undergarments, by Samia.
- Method for tying a turban, video by Timothy Dawson.
- Middle Eastern (Fatimid) man’s garb, by Samia.
- Mistress Ari Usni’s 15th and 16th Turkish clothing patterns(PDF).
- Seljuk Female Clothing, by Timothy Dawson.
- Seljuk Male Clothing, by Timothy Dawson.
- Stepping Out: Headwear and mantles in Egyptian and western Arabic dress in the fifth to seventh centuries after the Hijra (late 10th to thirteenth centuries c.e.)by Timothy Dawson.
- The Red Kaganate– many links on Mongol clothing including some patterns.
- Urban Middle Eastern clothing layers, an overview by Samia.
- Women’s 16th century Ottoman dress: The Costumes of Ottoman Women
- A Quick and Dirty Look At Viking Women Garb
- An Archaeology Guide to Viking Men’s Clothing
- Colors, Dyestuffs and Mordants of the Viking Age
- Norse Under Tunic – Measurements & Pattern Sizing – pattern generator
- Thora Sharptooth’s Viking resources
- Thorson and Svava’s Basic Viking Garb for Men and Women (local copy: men, women)
- Viking Answer Lady’s clothing links
- Viking Embroidery Stitches and Motifs
- Viking Tunic Construction
- Viking Women’s garb in Art and Archaeology
- Viking-Style Tablet Weaving: A Birka Strapwork Motif